More Serious Causes of Bad Breath:




            While bad breath can impact our children on a regular basis some of the reasons are simple with a simple fix, mentioned in Monday’s blog. However, sometimes there are more serious causes that parents should be aware of. Your child may have an infection, more serious disease or other mouth or throat condition, or their bad breath may be due to a medication they are currently taking.  No matter the cause, if bad breath persists and does not go away with increased brushing and flossing, or if your child already has good brushing and flossing habits, Dr. Cameron Fuller recommends making an appointment with a pediatric dentist to have them evaluated.
            Certain medications cause a dry mouth.  Saliva helps clean and remove particles in the mouth. If your son or daughter’s mouth is really dry due to a medication the food particles may stay on the teeth longer building up and causing bad breath to occur.  
            Cancer and other childhood diseases can cause bad breath due to distinctive odors that they produce.  “Children with cystic fibrosis or asthma may also have a acid smell to their bad breath,” adds Dr.Fuller.  
            Another common reason for bad breath is sinus infections. If there is a build-up of sinus fluid that drips down the back of the throat it may settle on the back of the tongue. Taking your child to the doctor or using a facial steamer to clean out the sinus’s can help.
Don’t let bad breath linger, have your child checked today.

Comments

  1. Bad breath is a plague that strikes most people at one point or another in their life. Fortunately there are a lot of ways to cure bad breath. I personally use Listerine to get rid of mine.
    http://www.bordenfamilydentistry.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sampson, Thank you for stopping by. You're right there are a lot of options to cure bad breath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always just brushed and flossed and I have never had an issue with bad breath. I used the mouth washes a couple times but I don't like having to take a whole minute to swish it around in my mouth. It makes my mouth sore so I choose to just brush and floss and see my dentist every 6 months. It seems to work out great for me. http://www.southpointedental.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello George,
      Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Happy to read that you have established healthy dental habits.

      Delete
  4. My kids haven't been brushing their teeth for awhile. I don't know what they are thinking, but I need to get them into a better habit. I think if the dentist told them it would mean a lot more then my word. http://www.westlakesfamilydental.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello James,
      Healthy habits can take awhile to establish in kids. Maybe, try making it fun. For example, playing their favorite song while they brush or reading a story. Kids want to do what is exciting. Hope this helps. I'm sure your kid's dentist would be happy to reiterate to them the importance of brushing.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know that bad breath could have a deep meaning to it. This was surely helpful in making sure my dental/oral health is taken care of. I will do this especially with my kids.

    www.chendmd.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joey, Glad to hear that you found this blog post helpful. Have a great day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your comment will be approved after it has been read by one of our staff.

Popular posts from this blog

A gap between the teeth

What is a dental abscess?

Do You Have Time For a Dental Emergency?