What are sealants?

Dental decay is the most prevalent disease on the planet.  You probably know somebody that has had a filling or some form of dental care due to a cavity.  As a pediatric dentist is it my job to help your child's mouth be the most resistant to getting a cavity.  Since the majority of cavities happen on the biting surfaces of the posterior teeth a method was devised to prevent that for happening.   The ways we do that is by placing sealants. 

A sealant's main goal is to create a seal on the surface of the tooth so that it is kept hygienic.  Posterior teeth have deep groves that can be un hygienic.  They are not able to be kept clean and thus are a perfect environment to a cavity to form. 

The process is simple.  The tooth is cleaned and the groves are opened if they are narrow.  A conditioner is placed on the tooth which helps the sealant stay in place.  After the conditioner is ready the sealant is place.  The material is placed in the groves so that they are protected.


after sealant
before sealant









The good news is that sealants do an excellent job of keeping a tooth healthy.  Most research shows that a well placed sealant will have a 80 % chance of keeping a tooth cavity free for 10 years.  That does not mean that they cannot break and may need to be touched up. 

So when you visit the pediatric dentist and they start taking about sealants.  You will be able to ask better questions in regards to child's dental health.


Comments

  1. It is us who should find a good place by which our small ones can feel comfortable and safe. The dentistry is proud to introduce the children sedation by which they won't be feeling any pain or discomfort. All the procedures will be done when they are asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is amazing in the picture! Was he experiencing pain when chewing? I feel like I need to see a pediatric dentist in Coquitlam. What do you recommend in your experience if your tooth looks similar to that and is hurting when chewing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the sealant ever come off? I know my kids pediatric dentist in Coquitlam wanted to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, It cant come off. Depends on the fitting of the dentist. Must visit Pediatric Dentistry in Burnaby, they provide you wide range of options and give a high quality dentistry treatment.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I would really like to learn more about the local pediatric dentistry in Salt Lake City, UT. I wonder if they ever do this on adult teeth. Its seems like it might be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to take my 2 daughters in for sealant. But, I don't know anyone that practices kids dentistry. any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think i could use some child dental care in Johnson City TN. My kids need some dental help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the post, and I'm looking for a new pediatric dentist that I can take my kids to. But I haven't had the best of luck lately, so if anyone has any tips or information to find a new one then that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been trying to find a family dentist. Does anybody know where I can find one in the Portland area?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing! I really had no idea what sealants were before reading this. Do they do them for adults? The child dental care office that I take my kids to mentioned it, but I am wondering if my wife and I would be able to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was very interesting to see. I just started in dentistry and I am trying to get more information about dental implants. http://www.dentistjindaleebrisbane.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the post, and I'm looking for a new baby dentist that I can take my kids to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog is very informative and interesting and the image made your point a lot clearer for the readers. Dental laboratory in Kent, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a big fan of sealants, thanks for sharing. I have had them done to me and I think it's important for my kids to get them too. I should probably get them into the dentist soon.

    http://greatgrinsdds.com/greatgrin/pediatricdentist.php

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have share very good information related to teeth issues.

    east bay childrens dentist 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your comment will be approved after it has been read by one of our staff.

Popular posts from this blog

A gap between the teeth

What is a dental abscess?

Do You Have Time For a Dental Emergency?