A Lifetime of Good Habits


Flossing is the number one dental habit adults say they don’t do on a regular basis. While we understand the importance of flossing and the long-term effects of not using proper flossing habits, it doesn’t seem to impact the overall amount of adults that have established this very important routine. While we as adults are not flossing, we are inadvertently telling our children that it is also acceptable for them not to floss.
"The habits we establish with them at a young age will carry over to their routines as an adult," suggests Dr. Fuller. A habit takes twenty-one days to establish. We have to start when our children our young and their first teeth are coming in. Make it fun for both of you and find floss that fits your needs and theirs, you’ll be more likely to remember to floss your own teeth and your child’s if you do. It is also important when first starting a new routine to complete it at the same time of day for twenty-one days, this will help build 
consistency. 
You can begin to floss your child’s teeth as soon as some of their baby teeth have erupted. You want to have them close to you, knee to knee. Pediatric dentist Cameron Fuller suggests, "that you find floss that feels comfortable to them. Then gently slide it between their teeth. You’ll want to be careful because their gums may be sensitive and vigorous flossing can damage the gum tissue."
If you establish this habit early on with your children it will be easier for them to carry over as they get older. The importance of flossing will not only save their smile, but it may also save their health later on. Infection in the mouth can spread throughout their body and while they may not always listen to you as a teen, establishing habits early on will help them to carry over these habits into adulthood.

Comments

  1. It's not just adults-- I don't think anyone flosses the recommended amount! It's hard enough getting my kids to brush their teeth every night, let alone floss as well. I'll admit that I didn't start that habit with them when they were toddlers, but it's not too late is it? | http://www.arthurstreetdental.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, Thank you for stopping by. It is never too late to start great dental habits.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree that flossing is one half of the process: The other half is brushing the teeth. I admit that I am not the best when it comes to flossing. I forget to floss a bunch of times. The times that I do floss though, I notice a distinct feeling of cleanliness that I don't get from just brushing. http://www.westfamilydental.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are always fighting with me to keep their teeth clean. My daughter argues that all of her teeth are going to fall out anyways, so why bother keeping these ones clean. I am do the point where I don't know what to say. This article was such a great help, know I have a few more ideas as to what to tell them.

    http://frisingerdental.com/about-us.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your comment will be approved after it has been read by one of our staff.

Popular posts from this blog

A gap between the teeth

What is a dental abscess?

Do You Have Time For a Dental Emergency?